OUR HISTORY

FOX & LOCKE GENERAL STORE

1947 - 1960

Founded in 1947 by Jack Fox and Martin Locke, our historic grocery has been in continuous operation for 75 years and counting. It was originally located across the street, but quickly outgrew its first home and moved to this larger building in 1955.

FOX & LOCKE STORE
1955 - 1960

FOX & LOCKE STORE
1947 - 1955

arrows pic.jpg

HOME OF THE
FOX & LOCKE FAMILY

Fox & Locke General Merchandise Store was the largest in the area, serving as a central meeting place for this rural community. Folks would stop in for gas, groceries and snacks; they’d stick around for the friendly banter and grapevine news.

The Puckett family bought and renamed the grocery in 1960, and the store continued to serve the surrounding area for decades under various owners.

hillsboro ad pic.jpg

 AD HILLSBORO SCHOOL 1948 ANNUAL

auction pic.jpg

THE REVIEW-APPEAL APRIL 14, 1960 PUCKETT BROS. PAID $9,300 FOR STORE AND CONTENTS

leipers fork overhead.jpg

1970 AERIAL VIEW OF LEIPERS FORK

Everything changed when live music came to the grocery in 2002, attracting songwriters, artists, and visitors from around the world. Today, our Thursday Open Mic Night is the stuff of legend, considered by up-and-coming musicians as the unofficial gateway to Music City.

Fox & Locke had no idea their little country store would someday be known as a top-shelf music venue, but they knew how an authentic, friendly gathering spot can create a tight-knit community.

In 2022, we are proud to return the heart of Leipers Fork village to its roots by honoring its original name, Fox & Locke.